The Brigadier Gen. James Brickett Chapter was organized 1 February 1947. Its first Regent was Mrs. Mabel Mason.

The name of the chapter honors a local patriot, James Brickett, born 16 Feb 1738 in Newbury, Essex, Massachusetts. He married Edna Merrill. He died 10 Dec 1818 in Haverhill, Essex, Massachusetts, and was buried in Pentucket Cemetery, Haverhill, Essex, Massachusetts. A graduate of Harvard, he set up his medical practice in Haverhill.

During the French and Indian War, he was a surgeon's mate in the regiment of Royal Americans serving with Colonel James Frye. He served at the Battle of Ticonderoga. After the war, he returned to Haverhill until the American Revolution.

In 1774, he was elected captain of the Haverhill Militia. On 19 April 1775, he and his militia were called to join Colonel James Frye to march to the battles of Lexington and Concord. He was commissioned a Lieutenant Colonel on 17 May 1775. On 17 June 1775, he marched to join in the Battle of Bunker Hill where he was wounded early in the action. With other surgeons he repaired to the north side of the hill and continued to care for the wounded during the battle and retreat. He was also commissioned by the Provincial Congress of Massachusetts as a surgeon. (Siege of Boston, p. 176.)

In July 1776, he was commissioned a Brigadier General by the Legislature and given command of forces sent to Canada. After the Battle of Saratoga, he brought the British prisoners back to Boston to be returned to England. He returned to Haverhill and resumed his medical practice.

Brigadier General James Brickett went on to become a Selectman from 1779 to 1782. He was Haverhill's Representative to the Provincial Congress of Massachusetts in Boston, and served on the board that authorized the Commonwealth's constitution. He was instrumental in helping to found the first fire company in Haverhill.

In 2007, the Brig. Gen. James Brickett Chapter merged with the Old Newbury Chapter. There are 67 members and eight associate members from Florida, Arizona, Illinois, New York, New Hampshire, Virginia, Rhode Island, Connecticut, Ohio, Maryland, and Massachusetts.

A History of the Old Newbury Chapter, Newburyport, Massachusetts
from the Massachusetts Daughters of the American Revolution
By Anna L. Bailey
December 1891 through December 1905
Published by
of the
Daughters of the American Revolution
417 Pierce Building, Copley Square

On June 17, 1896, a large and distinguished company gathered in the spacious rooms of the historic Dalton Mansion in Newburyport, to take part in the exercises attendant upon the formation of Old Newbury Chapter, Daughters of the American Revolution, and the presentation of its Charter, which was framed in wood taken from the frigate "Constitution."

The first meeting was held at the house, formerly the residence of Hannah Flagg Gould, a poet of considerable note the first half of the last century. In the ten years which have elapsed since that day, the Chapter has accomplished valuable work, of which its members are justly proud.

Its membership, beginning with sixteen, now numbers sixty, and includes descendants from Governor Dudley, Elder Brewster, Governor Hinckley, Governor Prence, Colonel Moses Little, Governor Josiah Bartlett, and others of lesser rank, but no less ardent patriotism.

Four daughters of Revolutionary Patriots have been honored members, two of whom are still living, Mrs. Jane Hill Currier and Miss Ruth I. Short. The other two are Miss Abby Short and Mrs. Lydia Lowell Pinder.

Monthly meetings from November to May have been regularly held, important papers on national and local history read, and many pleasant moments passed over the tea cups, in the social hour which always follows the literary program.

In addition to its literary work, the Chapter has contributed funds toward Continental Hall, the statue of Washington which was presented to France, the memorial for tomb of LaFayette, and memorial to Governor Roger Wolcott.

It worked actively for the comfort and welfare of the soldiers during the Spanish War, and gave money toward the support of the families of local volunteer soldiers. Much of the work usually done by the Daughters of the American Revolution, such as marking historic sites, etc., had already been done in Newburyport by the City Improvement Society and the Newbury Historical Society, but the Chapter identified several graves of Revolutionary soldiers hitherto unknown, and caused them to be suitably marked.

It annually gives the “American Monthly Magazine” to the Free Reading Room of the city, and has given framed pictures to the new Jackman School and to Dummer Academy, and a copy of the Declaration of Independence, framed in historic wood, to the High School. Books upon local history have been purchased and sent to D.A.R. headquarters, in Washington, and reading matter sent to military posts. In addition to this, the Chapter has put by a goodly sum toward the purchase of a bronze tablet to be placed in the Public Library April 19, 1906, in memory of Old Newbury’s soldiers and sailors in the Colonial and Revolutionary Wards.

The following ladies have served the Chapter as Regents: Miss Edith Russell Wills, 1896-1899; Mrs. Laurence W. Brown, 1899-1901; Mrs. Joseph E. Moddy, 1901.

Photos from the History of the Massachusetts Daughters of the American Revolution by Anna L. Bailey for the Old Newbury Chapter.

Obituaries of the Old Newbury Chapter Real Daughters

Newburyport Daily News Saturday October 2, 1909 page 8


Death of Mrs. Jane Hill Currier in 99th Year of Her Age

               Mrs. Jane Hill Currier, the oldest daughter of the Revolution, in this section, and widow of Enoch G. Currier, is dead at the home of her daughters, Mrs. J.J. Goodrich and Mrs. C. Leslie Currier in West Newbury.

               The deceased was a real daughter of the Revolution, her father having served in the Continental army and taking active part in the battle of Bunker Hill.

               For many years Mrs. Currier lived in Exeter, then removed to this city and later to West Newbury.

               On the occasion of her 98th birthday last year, she was honored by a visit from the Daughters of the Revolution of this city, who carried her many beautiful floral tributes.

               Mrs. Currier was a devout church member and up to within a few years of her death attended church in this city.

Newburyport Daily News Tuesday September 1, 1903 page 3

Abby Short Dead
For Years She Was One of the Teachers of Our Schools

              The death of Miss Abby Short occurred at Newbury this morning at the age of 72 years. For many years Miss Short was a teacher in the Kelly School of this city and her former pupils number many of the leading business men of the city today, who remember her with the kindliest of feelings for the important part she played in the shaping of their education. She had been a “great” sufferer for years and her death comes as a welcome relief. Full of years and of honors she is sincerely mourned and throughout the city today many a tear will drop in memory of Miss Short.

Gravestone located in First Parish Cemetery, High Road, Newbury,Massachusetts


1760 Moses Short 1841
Soldier of the American Revolution
His Wife
1786 Abigail Ilsley 1875
their daughters
1829 Ruth I Short 1927
1830 Abigail Short 1903

Newburyport Daily News Thursday March 17, 1927 page 4

At Rest in Native Town

              The funeral of Miss Ruth Ilsley Short for many years a resident of Oldtown was held at the home of Mrs. Ruth Bradstreet in Rowley, where Miss Short had made her home for the past few years. Her death occurred Sunday evening March 13, aged 97 years, 8 months and 23 days.

               She was the daughter of Moses and Abigail Short of Newbury, he being a Revolutionary Soldier. Miss Short was one of the very few remaining real Daughters of the Revolution. Her home was in one of the oldest houses in Newbury, at the corner of High Street and Rolfe’s Lane and she was the oldest in point of membership of the Oldtown Church, having united with it 73 years ago. At one time in her life Miss Short was a teacher in the old school house that stood upon the Upper Green.

               The funeral service was conducted by the pastor of the First Church in Newbury, Rev. Charles Sumner Holton, and was attended by many of her former neighbors and friends, also officers and members of the church. There were many beautiful floral tokens, including gifts from the Home Missionary Society of which the deceased had been a member for many years, also from the local Chapter of the D.A.R. and from other friends. The funeral was in the Cemetery of the First Church, Newbury.

Gravestone located in First Parish Cemetery, High Road, Newbury, MA


1760 Moses Short 1841
Soldier of the American Revolution
His Wife
1786 Abigail Ilsley 1875
their daughters
1829 Ruth I Short 1927
1830 Abigail Short 1903

Newburyport Daily News Monday December 30, 1901 page 3

DIED Pender- In this city, Dec 30, 1901. Lydia, widow of the late Robert Pender, aged 99 years, 6 months, 4 days. Funeral from the Old Ladies Home, 75 High Street. Services Wednesday at 2:30. Relatives and friends are invited to attend.

Newburyport Daily New Tuesday December 31, 1901 page 2

Mrs. Pender Who Died Yesterday Had Father in Revolution

               Mrs. Lydia Pender, whose death was referred to in the News of Yesterday was born in Brunswick Maine, April 26, 1807 and was a daughter of Paul Lowell, a native of Newbury. She married Dr. Pender in Brunswick, when she was about 22 years of age. They removed from Brunswick to Brattleboro, VT, where they lived several years and then moved to this city coming here in the 50’s.

               Eight children were born to them and six grew into manhood, a boy and a girl dying in infancy. None of her children are now living. Thomas Pender, who outlived all his brothers, dying in the Hampton, Va. Soldiers home a few years ago.

               She was a member of the Whitefield church, of which John F. Stickney, now in his 101st year, is a member, giving the church the honor of the 2 older Christians in the city. Mrs. Pender joined the Whitefield church by letter, when she came to this city.

               Mrs. Pender was a real Daughter of the Revolution, her father having served in Washington’s army throughout the war for the independence of the American colonies. Three of her sons, John L., Henry and Thomas Pender served in the war of the rebellion.

               Eight grandchildren survive her. They are Mrs. E.W. Morrill, Mrs. William H. Clarkson, Henry T. Pender, Robert H. Pender and Mrs. Cecil Phinney of Amesbury, Mrs. Mabel Metcalf of Providence, Mrs. Sarah Lowell Colthrop of Newburyport, and Robert H. Pender of Somerville. Seven great-grandchildren also survive her.

If you do not see a sidebar to the left
please click here to navigate this site.

Web hyperlinks to non-DAR sites are not the responsibility of the NSDAR,
the state organizations, or individual DAR chapters.